Don’t you love it when you open the fridge and feel suddenly inspired? That was me today at lunchtime. I saw a lonely little endive in the bottom of my veggie crisper and thought, “I know just what to do with you!”
Endives can be pretty bitter, so I wanted to add in something sweet to balance out the overall flavor. I ended up adding several sweet somethings and a hint of nuttiness.
Here’s the recipe if you want to give it a try.
Ingredients (for 2 servings)
- 2 endives
- 1 apple
- 2 kiwis
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 tsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 4 tsp walnut oil
- pinch of salt
- Start by making your vinaigrette. Put mustard, cider, and salt into a bowl and stir until combined.
- Add walnut oil and honey. Stir until combined.
- Cut endive in two. Remove the heart of the endive (the hard section in the middle) to avoid excessive bitterness. Chop into small pieces and add to bowl.
- Cut apple in two. Remove skin from apple, dice, and add to bowl.
- Remove skin from kiwi, dice, and add to bowl.
- Stir everything together so the vinaigrette is spread evenly throughout the salad.
Et voilà ! That’s all there is to it. You could also add some actual walnuts to your salad if you have some on hand (sadly, I didn’t).
And if you really want to go crazy, try adding some blue cheese. The creamy goodness would be a delicious addition to this salad.
If you’ve got any other ideas for how to jazz up this salad, I’m all ears! Just drop me a message in the comments section below. And don’t forget to subscribe to get more fun and easy recipes in your inbox.